People have been using sound and music for healing since the dawn of humanity. Every culture has some form of sound healing, from Tibetan Singing Bowls to Shamanic Medicine Melodies to American Gospel Music.
In addition to the cultural expressions of sound healing, there are physical principles such as Cymatics and Binaural Beats that may be used to bring about positive changes in our health and well being.
I have made my living as a composer and music producer since 1992, and I have always had some sense of the connection between sound and healing. These connections became crystal clear a few years ago when I earned my certificate in Sound, Voice, and Music in the Healing Arts from The California Institute of Integral Studies.
I have been deeply inspired by the work of Silvia Nakkach, John Beaulieu, and Pat Moffitt Cook. I have also had the great good fortune of performing with and learning from friends and leaders in this field including Silvia Nakkach, Loriel Starr, Barbara Juniper, Karma Moffett, Jeremy Marais, Suellen Primost, Lauren Rose, and Joss Jaffe.
For a video of one of my sound healing performances please click here.
For a video of a presentation I gave on sound healing in video games please click here.
- John Beaulieu – Human Tuning: Sound Healing With Tuning Forks
- Herbert Benson, MD – The Relaxation Response
- Joachim-Ernst Berendt – Nada Brahma: The World is Sound
- Pat Moffitt Cook – Music Healers of Indigenous Cultures
- Kay Gardner – Sounding the Inner Landscape: Music as Medicine
- Mitchell L. Gaynor, MD – The Healing Power of Sound: Recovery from Life-Threatening Illness Using Sound, Voice and Music
- Jonathan Goldman – The Secrets of Sound Healing
- Jonathan Goldman – Healing Sounds: The Power of Harmonics
- Eva Rudy Jansen – Singing Bowls: A Practical Handbook of Instruction and Use
- Diane Mandle – Ancient Sounds for a New Age: An Introduction to Himalayan Sacred Sound Instruments
- Silvia Nakkach – Free Your Voice: Awaken to Life Through Singing
- David Novak, Matt Sakakeeny – Keywords in Sound
- Pauline Oliveros – Deep Listening: A Composer’s Sound Practice
- Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche – Tibetan Sound Healing: Seven Guided Practices to Clear Obstacles, Cultivate Positive Qualities, and Uncover Your Inherent Wisdom
- R. Murray Schafer – The Soundscape: Our Sonic Environment and the Tuning of the World
- Suren Shrestha – How to Heal with Singing Bowls
- Christine Stevens, MSW MT-BC – Music Medicine: The Science and Spirit of Healing Yourself With Sound